Saturday, August 05, 2006

A temporary post...

For maybe a day or so. If you're wondering why there's been little movement on DUaB for a while - I'm in the States at the moment and am a) having too much fun, and b) not finding any internet access. I decided not to bring my spangly new MacBook for security reasons, but of course without it I'm reduced to grabbing ten free minutes in the 'Executive Office' of the cheap (but very nice) hotel I'm currently staying at in Washington DC. So I'll be venturing out to Dupont Circle tomorrow to track down an internet cafe and hopefully stick some photies up and such.

So quickly, I arrived OK from Heathrow on a short but squashed flight. I was asked to give up my aisle seat so a couple could sit together and ended up in between an enormously fat white man and an enormously fat black woman - but it was only 6hrs so not too bad. I had time to work out it was the 61st flight I've taken, which ain't bad considering I'm only twentyni...thirty. Crap. Yeah, I turned 30 on the 3rd and - and I kid you not - discovered two grey chest hairs that morning. Two! Anyway, to move on from the subject of my chest, I spent the day looking at stunning Asian art in the Peabody Museum in Salem, Massachussets, before going to the place where good burgers go when they die - Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Square. A few beers, some fancy cake, and it was - as they say here - all good.

The weather here is OK now, but my first day in Boston it was 109F plus the humidity, but I'll cover that in my first proper post (this is a brief - or was a brief - update after all). That night the LOW temperature reached was 79F - the lowest it got to during the night, that is. It was 32C at 11pm. Crazy. Anyway, now I'm in Washington it's still 90F, but after my time in Sydney I can manage that. Today I spent all day at a practice match of the NFL's Washington Redskins, so I'll be doing a special post later on, with a couple of amusing photos of me with the cheerleaders. They loved my accent.

Right, I'm off to wander around the memorials and such tomorrow - I'll start sticking up retrospective posts on each day so far when I can. Thanks for all your birthday emails, and I'll see you soon. And Craig, I can't come to the pool tournament as I'm in America.

R