Thursday, November 23, 2006

An Unfortunate Occurrence

Arte et labore indeed


I had a long 10hr day at work today, at the hospital, and with a taxing Lung cancer workshop for most of the day. The weather here has been terrible over the last few days - hard, blustery wind, cold, and with driving rain. Classic Scottish Autumnal conditions (and Winter, Spring and Summer conditions come to think of it). I've been drenched twice this week on my way home. Tonight saw Blackburn's third UEFA Cup match against the Dutch side Feyenoord, so my plan was to go up to the Murrayfield Bar - one of the few pubs showing the game, and the home of the sparse band of Edinburgh-based Rovers fans.

So I braved the horrendous conditions, with the twin delights of football and beer pulling me onwards, in the kind of blasting wind that pierces your clothes and gives you a dull throbbing pain in the temples. Hunched over, I got as far as Haymarket when I had the misfortune of walking past a Lothian bus as it thumped past on the way to Princes Street. It ploughed through a large unseen puddle, and with a sudden WHA-SPLUNSH noise, soaked me from head to foot. I was dripping, completely drenched. The driver can't have avoided the water, but knowing Edinburgh bus drivers I bet he had a smile as he lined me up.

So I immediately turned around and shivered my way home. I'm writing this with the central heating full on, in my Rovers hat and scarf (and Gentlemen's Lounging Trousers, of course), with a pint of Guinness and the Rovers game on the digital radio (current live score update 0-0). I've more or less warmed up, and it's all good. Also all good is my upcoming schedule - as of tomorrow I've got two weeks off work. I'm flying to Bristol on Saturday for a long weekend with friends (I've never been there before), then I'm off to London for 8 days to catch up with friends and family. After that, I've got less than a fortnight at work until Christmas, and then I'm off to Canada for two weeks. Rest assured, I'll be taking the camera and Macbook and filling you all in. But I won't be watching the Ashes after yesterday's performace by England...