Monday, March 19, 2007

The Birthday Bridge




Today - the 19th of March - sees a very special birthday. If I had only a single card to send, it wouldn't be to Bruce Willis or Ursula Andress (and not just because they have yet to thank me for the Christmas card). It would be to that modern wonder of the world, the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was officially opened 75yrs ago today, minutes after it was unofficially opened by a disgruntled sword-wielding army officer. I love the Harbour Bridge, it was a pleasure to see and travel over it when I lived in Sydney. By train on the way to work, I'd stand by the window so I could look out, even though I'd seen the same view the day before. Walking home from Milson's Point, as the sun was setting over the harbour, is one of my abiding memories of my time there. So to celebrate, here are the pick of the photos I took of the 'Coathanger' - the birthday bridge.


Shimmering in the sun, as the Manly ferry glides past



Three Sydney landmarks in one shot



From Circular Quay metro, I can't think of a better view from a station



Towering over the Rocks, wobbly streetlines and all



Blurry fireworks at New Year's Eve 2005



Crowds of people on Australia Day



Minutes after my final walk home over the bridge, at sunset





Harbour Bridge Celebrations [Sydney Morning Herald]
History of the bridge