Friday, April 14, 2006

Halfway Back

1yr ago today...


Exactly a year ago I wrote this post in a Korean-run Internet gaming centre in Sydney. At the time I was wondering if my time abroad would seem to have gone by quickly when I returned to the UK, and seeing as I've now been back here exactly six months I should probably try and answer. In a word, not really. I managed to cram so much into that year that time never seemed to fly by, and sitting here thinking about it now although the 14th of October 2004 seems like a long time ago, it doesn't really (if that makes any sense at all).

But to try and wrap up other points of that post, yes it was good to return to my family, friends and x-box (in no particular order), you can be the judge of whether this blog became more interesting, and if I could go away again I would absolutely jump at the chance. And I hope I answered Princess's question(s)...


My last post, about the real seven wonders of Scotland, should probably have included 'Escaped Pets' (when you make a list you always miss something obvious off). This week West Lothian has been gripped - like an unwary poodle - by Eagle Owl fever, after the escape of a pet from a shed in Linlithgow. Having seen the cramped aviary on the news, I'm rooting for Fergus the 3ft owl - described by the Police as being 'distinctive' - to stay wild, especially as it apparently eats pet dogs. Go get 'em Fergus!

edit - Eagle Owl Update...Fergus has now been missing for four days. In a statement, West Lothian Police said 'the public should not attempt to catch it themselves', but call the Police - who will presumably sramble their elite Owl Retrieval Unit. There have been a few sightings, but they turned out to be of a concrete owl on a roof. Easily done. Link

edit 2 - Eagle Owl Update...For those of you on the edges of your seats (or perches) about the fate of Scotland's most famous Eagle Owl, Fergus was recaptured on Saturday morning, after five days on the run (on the wing?). A local gamekeeper had managed to capture it, and the plucky owl is now back in his shed at the bottom of some bloke's garden. The region's pets can breathe a collective sigh of relief...